Pottery Barn Inspired Santa Artwork

Christmas Decor by: theDIYvillage.com

Jacque and I are always looking for new additions to our “Christmas Collection”  She happened upon a post written by Katie from Bower Power that had a re-creation of a Pottery Barn Santa print. We loved what Katie had been able to create and decided that we’d try to come up with an alternative way to recreate our own Pottery Barn Inspired Santa Artwork.

As I’ve done in past posts, using adobe illustrator, I was able to draw the original image into a line drawing, then using my vinyl cutter, I cut a stencil of the line drawing.

We acquired some old decking boards that I thought would be a perfect back drop for my Santa artwork.  I primed the boards with a multi-purpose primer, waited the required amount of dry time and applied the vinyl cutout to the boards using transfer tape.

Christmas Decor by:theDIYvillage.com

When painting, it’s important to not get the brush to saturated.  Excess paint can seep under the stencil causing the image to lose it’s shape.  It’s best to get a small amount of paint on the brush, dab off the excess, then apply the paint in a “stipple” type technique.

Christmas Decor by: theDIYvillage.com

Remove the vinyl stencil to reveal your reproduction!

Santa is looking pretty good.

Christmas Decor by:theDIYvillage.com

I felt like there was enough room to add some text to the decking boards. I searched for a font that fit nicely, (St. Nicholas) and made a “Merry Christmas” text stencil.  Follow the same steps to add the text to the artwork and you are left with your finished product.

Christmas Decor by:theDIYvillage.com

Pottery Barn inspired Santa Artwork

Christmas Decor by: theDIYvillage.com

I chose to use old decking boards that we had saved, but this could easily be re-created on canvas or any other kind of wood.

Feel free to email us with any questions you may have about the process or the final product!

Merry Christmas!

**(We REALLY would love to share the Santa artwork drawing file, but as theDIYvillage doesn’t want to infringe on any copyright laws, we are currently unable to do so)**

Thanks for understanding!

Comments

Love it! I did one on canvas like this last year… from Katie’s blog as well. I love the look of yours on the wood a little better I have to say – it looks great distressed!

• Matt says

Kathryn, thank you for taking the time to stop in and let us know what you think of our Santa! We’re headed over to see your Santa right now!

• Matt says

Tricia, We’re glad to hear that you found us through Debbie Doo’s! Debbie is one of our absolute favorites! You definitely should look into a vinyl cutter, it’s one of the best investments we’ve ever made!

• Matt says

Hey Jody,
      Unfortunately, there’s not anyplace where we can sell the editable image. We just don’t want to risk violating any copyright laws.

2. Tanya says

What vinyl cutter do you use? I make signs and hand cut my own stencils….SO much work. Not sure which cutter to get. So many to choose from. I love this project! Any tips would be great :)

• Matt says

Hey Tanya, we use a Roland GX-24 for anything large or long. It’s a bit more of an investment, but we use it all the time! It can cut up to 24″ wide and up as far as I know, as long as the vinyl roll is loaded straight, it can cut lengthwise indefinitely. If you’re a Windows user, it comes with a program called Roland CutStudio that will allow you to do all sorts of things. If you’re a Mac user like us, you would need to have adobe illustrator. On all of our smaller items, we use a Silhouette Cameo. It’s super versatile, really affordable, and there are TONS of tutorials on how to use them. It’s software is Windows and Mac compatible. And if you did need to use the Cameo on a larger project, you definitely could, you might just have piece together stencils rather than cutting them all out of one piece of vinyl. Hope that answers the basics! If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to ask! We’d love to help!