Pottery Barn Inspired Number Chair

Last summer while visiting the Knoxville Habitat for Humanity ReStore, Matt scored this awesome red chair.

The original intention was to paint the chair and use it as seating for our guest room.  I mean honestly who doesn’t love having a nice place to sit down and put your shoes on?  I primed the chair and Matt painted it an antique white color with thoughts of some distressing or something fun for the seat.  But it never happened as usual with us our never ending Honey-do list got in the way of actually completing this task.

Fast forward 10 months (yes I said 10 … remember this a “judge free” zone), the chair was being used in the garage to put our shoes on and off when we worked in the yard and honestly it HAD to get out of our garage.  I’m totally in love with this Pottery Barn Number Canvas (sorry guys they don’t sell it anymore).

Photo Source: Here

Since I love this so much I decided I wanted to do my take on this PB canvas and make my own number chair.  I wanted a tone on tone look and opted to paint the back and legs of the chair turquoise.  Leaving the seat antique white.

Chair To make sure I got good coverage I painted the back spindles first and after an ample amount of drying time was given I used FrogTape Painters tape and wrapped the spindles so I could paint the seat.

Chair

This was much easier than painting the spindles last, it would have taken forever to tape off the seat and leaves a nice clean line!

Tape While the paint was curing on the rest of the chair it was time to make my stencil.  I used Adobe Illustrator to lay my numbers out changing fonts, sizes, and rotation as I went.  Unfortunately I did not save the file to share with you, sorry guys!  Once the design was complete Matt helped me use our vinyl cutter to cut out our stencil.  With the stencil cut out I was able to “weed” away the areas that I wanted to show up as painted.

We added the transfer paper and my stencil was ready to use.  I attached the stencil to my chair taking note of exactly how the numbers to appear once the stencil was removed.

You will want to use a squeegee like the ones pictured above from 3M while applying your vinyl.  It will help to insure a smooth bubble free area.

After a little bit of debating I decided to stencil my numbers in orange.  If you have been following us you will know of my love of orange, turquoise, and white from my craft room.  I stenciled the chair and waited a couple of minutes and removed the stencil.  I added a quick coat of polycrylic and the number chair was complete and ready for use!

PB Inspired Number Chair

PB Inspired Number Chair

PB Inspired Number Chair

I love the Dr. Seuss style colors!

PB Inspired Number Chair

PB Inspired Number Chair

I think this chair will fit perfectly in it’s new home!  Have you ever tried stenciling on a chair, I’d love to hear about it?

Featured At:

Craft DIY Ideasapinchofjoy.comSNAP!

Comments

Oh my goodness I love it! And I’m super jealous that it only took you 10 months to get this finished; we’ve got stuff that’s been sitting around for at least a year!

Thanks so much for sharing this at The Fun In Functional!

• says

Haha sadly we have some that has been sitting at least a year as well … I just try to stay in denial about it haha! Thanks for hosting!

So very cute!!! You did an awesome job! Hopped over from The DIY Dreamer and I’m happy to be your newest follower. Would love to have you stop by for a visit and follow me back. Blessings ~ Judy vintagestreetdesigns com

• says

Thanks so much, yup those are vintage Alpha blocks – good eye! We picked them up at an antique shop in Southern Pines, NC. At .50 a piece how could I say no?

Love how your chair turned out. I just purchased 3 chairs recently to redo and will probably stencil on one of them. Visiting you from Embracing Change.

4. SHERRY says

LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! I can see me “borrowing ” this idea on a bench for the front porch with our box numbers. SUPER CUTE!! Thanks for sharing your awesome creativity!

• says

Woohoo thanks Sherry! You know we just love to inspire! Speaking of inspiration your house is an inspiration piece in itself, just fabulous!!!

So very cute and creative — love the colors, the repurposing, the whole chair! You are featured this week on Busy Monday at A Pinch of Joy! Stop by and grab a Featured Button from the Button Box on the sidebar this afternoon. Pinned. Can’t wait to see what else you’ve been working on!

6. katie says

I love the two toned look! My kitchen chairs need some serious love and now I know what I’ll be doing to them. Love the numbers as well :)

I am a new follower and found you on your guest post today. I know, I know, I love this chair and I just learned why some paint came off when I used Frog tape … I didn’t let the other paint dry long enough! Thank you for that insight :)
    Hugs,
    Bj
    PS. I am off to find you on Facebook :)

Super cute! I love the color combinations. I’m just starting to think about a little table and chairs for my little miss. I’m pinning this for inspiration! Thanks so much for sharing!

This is the absolute cutest chair…ever. Your post is so inspirational. I would love it if you could share this wonderful post at our WIW linky party. I hope you can join us.

Paula
    ivyandelephants.blogspot.com

Stopping by from Debbiedoos! You see these chairs everywhere, but never seen one look as good and cute as this one. I see you like numbers, so do I, I like how you offset them on the chair. Really cute! My fingers are crossed you’ll share your creative inspiration tonight with Sunday’s Best – sharing is a good thing!