Dresser Overhaul { Woodland Dresser }

Jacque and I stumbled upon this dresser while we were on a Craiglist run one Saturday earlier this year.  We somehow managed to bundle this dresser, a set of stools, and a chair all from one household.  This piece was in desperate need of an overhaul, and we were just the couple up for the challenge!  It had just enough gouges and imperfections to meet our standards!  And that honeycomb detail on the top was just too cool to pass up!

Shortly after getting the dresser home, we threw a coat of Zinsser Oil Based Primer onto the frame of the piece.

Stenciled Dresser

Looks pretty good doesn’t it?  While I wish that was the case, what you can’t see in most of these pictures is the imperfections on the dresser top and the drawer fronts.  (Head over HERE on using Bondo All Purpose Filler to correct any and all imperfections in your furniture projects!)  Instead of being able to stain the drawers and top the dresser I opted for contrasting paint colors.

Stenciled Dresser

A few coats of paint later and we had achieved the look I had originally set out for…A classic, simple two tone paint job.  But, once we were done, I couldn’t help but feel like this piece deserved more.

Stenciled Dresser

So I went back to the drawing board…Literally!  I wanted to work on some kind of modern artwork that I could display on a piece of furniture, so I figured I’d give it a shot on this one!  Using Adobe Illustrator and my Roland GX-24 vinyl cutter, I was able create a stencil out of vinyl.  I used a similar stencil idea on my Word Art Dresser earlier this year and absolutely loved it, so I figured I’d role the dice on this one!

Here is the drawing I worked up on Illustrator.  I got my inspiration from a woodland painting I saw in a shop a few weeks back.

Stenciled Dresser

And here’s what my woodland vinyl cut out looked like!  By far the biggest vinyl appliqué that I’ve used on a piece of furniture to-date.

Stenciled Dresser

I applied transfer tape to the woodland vinyl cutout and positioned it on the dresser front.  The FrogTape that is running semi-horizontally is used to divide the stencil in half.  The next step is to separate the transfer tape (and vinyl) from the backing.  I prefer to let the transfer tape and vinyl hang down over the tape as I cut away the backing from the top section. This particular method not only holds the stencil in the proper position but allows better control while removing the backing paper.  Starting right above the tape, I grabbed a squeegee and gently worked the transfer tape and vinyl upwards against the surface of the dresser.  Once the top section was set, I removed the piece of tape and repeated the process on the bottom half.

Stenciled Dresser

In order to use the stencil, the last step is to remove the transfer tape.  I started at the upper right hand corner and began separating the two, almost folding the transfer tape back on itself as I worked my way across the dresser.  (Take your time with this, make sure your vinyl is releasing from your transfer tape and sticking firmly to your dresser.)

Stenciled Dresser

Carefully run your squeegee over your vinyl to make sure all of your edges are flat and sealed for paint.

Stenciled Dresser

I reused the FrogTape at the top and bottom of the stencil to keep from painting on any surface that I hadn’t intended to.

When painting, I use a quality paint brush and get small amounts of paint on the brush and stipple over the open areas around the stencil.  This technique takes a little longer, but since you’re not dealing in gobs of paint, you don’t have to worry about runs.

Stenciled Dresser

Once the painting was finished, I began to carefully peel the stencil off the dresser, leaving me with my desired woodland look!

Stenciled Dresser

Although I liked the color combination of the light green, gray, and white, I just wasn’t satisfied with the overall look of the piece.  So I called in the reinforcements! Anytime I’m stuck on where I should go with a project, I turn to my better half!  Jacque has a knack for seeing the details that I seem to miss.  As great as the stenciled image looked, some of the dressers’ details were now lost.  The honeycomb detail and the claw feet had lost their pop!  So we came up with a few color options and Jacque sold me on one of them.

Stenciled Dresser

Much to my surprise she suggested I change the entire look of the outside of the dresser.  (I am pretty sure she consulted with Rachel over at Thrifty Inspirations again, two minds are better than one right?)  With paint of course!  Thank goodness for our HVLP Sprayer, it made re-painting quick and painless!

Stenciled Dresser

With the body of the dresser now painted white, I painted the top of the dresser the same grey as the woodland theme on the front.

Stenciled Dresser

We finished off the dresser by adding some new hardware and moving inside.  The new color combination was just what this woodland dresser needed!

Stenciled Dresser

I love the intricate detail on the dresser front!

Stenciled Dresser

These claw feet are absolutely gorgeous!

Stenciled Dresser

This piece has made quite a transformation and I am really pleased with the outcome of our woodland themed dresser.  I think it would work great in a living room, bedroom, or even in a nursery.

Have you ever taken any risks with projects that paid off?

Let us know!

Tree Dresser

Featured At:

southern hospitality  IhookedupwithHoHlamespice I was featured on The Fun In Functional @ Practically Functional
Featured at apinchofjoy.com Photobucket

Sharing With:

Comments

• Matt says

Jeanette, I am definitely thankful for Jacque! She makes these projects a lot easier for me! Thanks for taking the time to let us know what you thought of our latest piece!

You caught us Matt! I may have had a liiiiiittle bit to do with the color change but I’m so glad you went for it! It turned out perfect. If you sell this, I will kill you. K? :) Jacque never showed me the feet on it, they are AMAZING! Don’t forget, sell it and die :)

XOXO,
    Rachel

• Matt says

Thanks Diane! Those pulls are from Hobby Lobby! I found the shape I was looking for and painted them with a pearl finish so that they’d go with the new look!

Oh my, you’ve done it again, love this piece, well I love both pieces. You really do beautiful work, your are a great team in more ways than one! What can I say gor.geous! Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration with Sunday’s Best – you helped make the party a success!

• Matt says

Thanks Cathy! I’m really glad that you liked it! It took us some time to get it right, but I can’t imagine changing a thing on it now!

• Matt says

Thanks Shannah! It was fun trying to figure out what way we wanted to go with it! We’re really happy with the results! We appreciate the feedback.

• Matt says

A triple thank you Melissa! We find a lot of things on Craigslist! (But we always see them in person before we agree to buy) Thanks for stopping by!

• Matt says

Thanks Rhonda! Jacque’s thinking about turning one of our bedrooms into a woodland themed room, so this may be the start of a line of furniture:)

3. Cindy says

Stunning!!! Can you give me info on the HVLP sprayer model you use. I have an air compressor, is that what powers the sprayer.
    So glad to have found your site. Now that I have pinned this I will be returning again and again.

• Matt says

Cindy, thank you so much for letting us know you liked the dresser! Our HVLP sprayer is made by Campbell Hausfeld and is called a restoration quality HVLP paint sprayer, model number HV2500. It has what’s called a 2 stage tangential turbine that supplies the volume and pressure that the nozzle needs for a constant steady stream. I did look at buying just a HVLP gun/nozzle but the people I talked to assured me that my 6 gallon 150 psi pancake air compressor would not be able to keep up with the volume that the HVLP gun needs for a steady stream. Hope that helps:)

4. Cindy says

Hi Matt, after receiving your response about the HVLP sprayer I have been scouring the Internet. There seems to be several HV2500 models. Being a woodworker and never using a paint sprayer I am so confused. If you have the time could you find and send me a link to the model you use. I am grateful for your time and help. Cindy

• Matt says

Stacey, I am completely ecstatic to find out about the feature! I’m honored to find out that you liked the dresser! Thank you so much!

Wow, that is seriously cool. Lots of work, but look at how good it looks. This will be one of the features at tomorrow’s Wow Us Wednesday.

6. Heidi Lee says

Hi! I have just moved into a new home and finally have a garage to dedicate to crafting. I was wondering what you could tell me about your paint sprayer. The guys at Home Depot were not very helpful in knowing what to look for. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks!

• Matt says

Shannah, I am so excited to see the dresser was featured on the Pinworthy Projects Party! I am absolutely overwhelmed and honored to find that it was the most viewed project of the party! Thank you so much! I’m grabbing a badge as we speak!

Great tutorial and the dresser is beautiful. I have a link party on Wednesdays, and I would love it if you would link this and any other posts. It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party. It runs from Wednesday to Sundays.
    I hope to see you there. I am your newest follower, and I would love for your to follow me also. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above

Matt–you really did a fabulous job on this piece! Love the woodland theme. Great tutorial too!
    “catching’ you this week, thanks for linking up and linking back!
    gail
    ps hi Jacque!

• Matt says

Thanks Carrie, I’m excited to find more pieces in need of some TLC, I’d like to use the same concept but try some different themes out!

• Matt says

Thanks Alisha! I’m thankful that Jacque let me try the woodland theme out! She had other plans for the dresser, so she was kind enough to throw me a bone on this one!

• Matt says

Brittany, thanks for giving us some “dresser” love! It’s our only piece that’s ever gotten a double makeover! So given the results, maybe I should rethink some of my other projects… Thanks for the visit!

• Matt says

Thanks Shannon! This is one of my favorite projects that we’ve done! It is definitely nice to be able to work on these projects with Jacque! She may not say the same thing about me though:)

• Matt says

Lisa, we’re so glad to have you visiting from PHG! We’re so excited to be part of such an incredible team! Hope you’ll stop by again soon!