Custom Coffee Mug, Valentine Gift

I love the dollar store, they always have the best selection of items for the creative mind.
This year for Valentine’s Day I wanted to make Matt something from the heart that combines two of his favorite things Coffee & Music.

The best logical gift I could come up with was custom coffee mugs with the name of one of his favorite songs.
Matt’s latest music obsession is New Grass.
And who could blame him with groups like The Avett Brothers and Mumford & Sons just minutes into a song your feet are tapping.

I picked a song by the Avett Brothers – I and Love and You.

I picked up two solid white coffee mugs from the dollar store.

Fun valentine's day gift idea for anyone ... easy DIY

I created a stencil using my vinyl cutter.
Cleaned the coffee mugs with alcohol and applied the stencil.

Custom Coffee Mug by: theDIYvillage.com

Using a craft paint brush, paint the stencil in as per glass paint instructions.  I used DecoArt Americana Gloss Enamels.

Custom Coffee Mug Valentine by: theDIYvillage.com

** This paint will set up fairly quickly to keep your lines clean make sure and remove the stencil while the paint is still wet (as quickly as possible)**

Remove your stencil and let the paint set up for 4 days and then bake!

It’s that easy.
How fun would these be filled up with coffee samplers or coffee flavored candies?

Custom Valentine Coffee Mugs

Would you consider making a custom mug for your significant other?
Or maybe do this craft with your kids for mother’s day or father’s day!

So fun!

Check out a video where myself and 3 other DIY/Crafters share some other great Valentine’s Day crafts.

**This post contains Amazon Affiliate links**

Comments

1. Debbie says

OK, having never done this kind of stuff before, please explain the “bake” part. Thank you because I so want to try this! :-)

• says

Hey Debbie after you bake the paint on it is suitable for the dishwasher! I used DecoArt Americana Gloss Enamels- the instructions say to allow the paint to dry for 4 days and then bake in the oven for 30 min. at 325 in a non-preheated oven and to cool with the oven door open. Being able to put these in the dishwasher is a big deal to me :)

• says

Thanks for the pin Kelly! I was really worried about these working. The first time I tried it I let the paint dry and then ended up pealing the words off … whoops!

These are really cute. I have a link party called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop and would love to have you share this and any other posts with everyone. It runs from Tuesday night through midnight Sunday. Here is the link to the party.
    Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above
    Debi @ Adorned From Above recently posted..Busy Bee’s Blog Hop # 1My Profile

What a great idea. I’m a big fan of the Avett Brothers and I’m assuming you got this quote from them. A great idea. I just found you through Savvy Southern Style. I’m your latest subscriber and I’m hoping you’ll follow back.

4. Lowra says

Hi Jacque,

I just came across this blog entry. Great idea!. Have you found that the paint has come off in the dishwasher since January as it’s now December? Would love to know how they’ve lasted

Lowra