DIY Dog Bowl Chairs {Elevated Feeding Station}

Being DIY/crafters we often run into situations where people have old furniture that they just “knew” we could do something with.
More often that not this turns into a garage FULL of pieces I have NO clue what to do with!
So when life gives you lemons (aka furniture you have no clue what to do with) you make lemonade (aka Dog Bowl Chairs).

DIY Projects by: theDIYvillage.com

Right after we were given 4 old school chairs we quickly primed two of them.
The other two were not suitable for sitting, one had a cracked seat (ouch) and the other was missing a side support.
I was getting ready to load them into my car to take them to the ReStore when my sister mentioned that Bailey (her collie) would really love a raised feeding station.
And thus began the idea of the diy dog bowl chairs using old chairs.

Since I had the idea one would think I jumped right on that.  Well I didn’t I bought the bowls and they sat for 6 months to be exact.
That is until I got my newest most awesomest toy in the world, my Silhouette.
Talk about fun, no more excuses time to get these chairs done and get them to some use rather than collecting dust in the garage!

Before you get started with any cutting you will want to sand down your chairs, basically knock the finish down, and remove any oils that might prevent you from staining the chairs.

DIY Projects by: theDIYvillage.com

I used the dog bowl (aka mixing bowl from Walgreens) as my pattern and then drew a second circle just inside the first one.
The 2nd circle will be my cutting circle, this space will create a lip for the bowl to rest on, instead of falling through!

DIY Projects by: theDIYvillage.com

With your circle drawn you can drill your starter hole.
The starter hole needs to be wide enough to allow for your jig saw blade.

DIY Projects by: theDIYvillage.com

Use the starter hole to insert the bit and cut your circle with the Jig Saw using the inside line.

DIY Projects by: theDIYvillage.com

Before you put your jig saw away make and do a dry fit of the bowl.
If the hole is too small do another cut.
 It’s easier to take away than it is to add back!

DIY Projects by: theDIYvillage.com

Once your sure the hole is the proper size sand down any rough edges caused by using the Jig Saw.

Your chair is now ready for any word art you might want to add.
And then stain the chairs.

DIY Projects by: theDIYvillage.com

I used the same technique on the chairs as I did on my Industrial Bar Stools & Monogrammed Jewelry Box.

DIY Projects by: theDIYvillage.com

Once the stain has cured the proper amount of time, I recommend finishing the chairs with a clear protective finish like

Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane Satin Finish.
This particular finish comes in cans for brush on and also in a spray can.
Whichever you prefer.
This will provide a hard durable finish that will stand up to even the most slobbery big dog!

DIY Projects by: theDIYvillage.com

And for those of you wondering if a dog would actually eat out of one of these elevated dog bowl contraptions …  Yes they will!

This post has been Fenway Approved – 4 paws up!

Comments

• Deb says

I’m thinking for cats, perhaps an old wooden coffee table. That way you have room to put the dish(es) and also a lounging area for kitty. Cats like to perch anyway and it’s also a good way to keep at least the small dogs out of the cat food.

Those turned out great! Our Jake would be sad if we did that. He like to lay down and rest while he’s “carb loading” as we call it, (he always runs to his food bowl and eats in the middle of playing). But I’ve read that elevated bowls are easier for older dogs, so this might be something for us to consider when he gets a little older. You did a really nice job! Thanks for sharing them with us :)
    Tammy recently posted..Scissor & Craft Tool CaddyMy Profile

I love this idea! My son’s dog is much bigger than my two dogs and he comes to our house every day for day care. He has to eat up on our boot bench because he hates eating on the ground. I’m going to look for old child’s chairs. I’m inspired!

This idea is great for dogs as well as cats! Way to go! It’s better for the animals too. My cousin’s husband makes and sells these along with other woodworking projects…they are very popular.
    I saw you sharing with Transformation Thursday
    Debbie :)
    Debbie recently posted..Recycled Christmas TreeMy Profile

4. Christina at I Gotta Create! says

Another hit! These are marvelous. I’m pinning!

<3 Christina at I Gotta Create!
    Wildly Original linky party is open

I love this! We have a 14 and a half year old lab /corgi mix who has been laying on the floor while he eats. I bet he would love a raised bowl!

I am going to have James teach me to work with power tools. Every cool project like this I see I think “I wish I could do that!”

Sorry we didn’t get a chance to meet at the Southern Bloggers Conference. Looking forward to meeting you both at Haven :)

Brilliant and amazing! I laughed out loud when I saw this!
    Love for you to stop by and check out some of my project:
    Also, I host and “oldies” link party on Tuesdays–a way to get come traffic out of our awesome, but old projects we posted long ago.
    Hope to see you there–and excited to be following you via rss.
    Nancy

That is absolutely superb. Instead of throwing used chairs, using them in this way will be undeniably perfect. Thanks a lot for reaching out and sharing this info. Keep up the good work.

1. […] If your a dog owner, you may have heard that it’s better for your pet to drink and eat with his head up and level rather than extended down to the floor. Many companies sell elevated dog feeders, but we all know that us DIYers have to do it our own way. Now you can follow this tutorial to make your own from old chairs! Get the tute at DIY Dog Bowl Chairs { Elevated Feeding Station } – the DIY village. […]