Custom Kitchen Pantry Reveal

DIY Custom Pantry Makeover by theDIYvillage.comFor two years, we did our best to utilize the available space in our kitchen pantry.  But eventually we had enough and moved the pantry renovation to the top of our Never Ending Honey-Do-List!  Jacque came up with a plan to convert the existing pantry into a custom built-in that would fit our growing need for more functional storage.  Jacque even went as far as to draw out a to-scale layout of her new pantry plan…That’s when I realized I’d better jump on board or get out of the way, cause this pantry makeover train was about to leave the station!

Thanks to two full time jobs, multiple part time jobs, an abundance of learning opportunities (aka “screwups”), and a general need for human interaction, this pantry renovation took us about two and half months to complete.  But to look at the drastic difference from beginning to end, I can’t imagine the amount of money we saved doing it ourselves!

Kitchen Pantry

Originally, we had planned on building doors to enclose the entire pantry, but Jacque opted for leaving the mid-level cabinets without doors to help give that area of the kitchen a more “open” feel.  To add a little pop to the open cabinets, Jacque ended up painting a unique cabinet backing using a stencil.

DIY Custom Pantry Makeover by theDIYvillage.com

Each pantry door is built out of poplar wood and has an inlayed bead board center.  Jacque wanted to use hinges that would not be visible from the outside of the cabinet, and since we opted for overlay cabinet doors, we chose these Full Overlay Hinges.  Our friend, Sandra, aka Sawdust Girl, does a great job laying out some hinge options for overlay cabinet doors!

DIY Custom Pantry Makeover by theDIYvillage.com

Jokingly, I told Jacque that since we were doing such a “custom” pantry, we ought to add drawer slides to the lower cabinet shelves to make this makeover the envy of all the pantries in the neighborhood….

And that was when I realized, you don’t joke with your wife about upgrades to her pantry.

As you can probably guess, the next thing I added was…Full Extension Drawer Slides.

DIY Custom Pantry Makeover by theDIYvillage.com

Just in case we need to adjust a shelf height, the outer lower cabinets have two adjustable shelves each.  All three lower cabinets are deep enough to store just about what ever we need to!

DIY Custom Pantry Makeover by theDIYvillage.comBecause the cabinet handles are close to waist height, we wanted to stay away from a cabinet knob that could potentially snag on belt loops or clothes.  So we chose these rustic looking Oil-Rubbed Bronze Cabinet Handles.
(They are belt loop friendly!)

DIY Custom Pantry Makeover by theDIYvillage.com

The upper cabinet storage is probably the most functional addition that we made to the pantry.  We finally have a place to store all of things that we don’t use on a daily basis, but can’t live without!

DIY Custom Pantry Makeover by theDIYvillage.com

All of the clutter out of site and loving it!

DIY Custom Pantry Makeover by theDIYvillage.com

Once the installation was finished, Jacque took the reigns and started loading the pantry contents back into their new homes!

Including a special place for the antique kitchen scale I got her for her birthday last year …

Kitchen Pantry

And these great glass storage jars that were given to us as a “pantry-warming gift” by my dad and step-mom!

(As a thank you, I let my dad help with the pantry install)

Kitchen Pantry

And of course, the pantry wouldn’t be complete without our favorite wine leftover from our wedding in 2009, stored perfectly in an old bolt bin I found in a dumpster full of metal scrap. (Hey!  No judging! I ‘m not too good to dumpster dive!)

DIY Custom Pantry Makeover by theDIYvillage.com

Well, I believe this is one more project that we can cross off our list!  Over the next few weeks, we’re rolling out the plans for the components that make up our built-in.  Be sure to check out How to Build a Pantry for the first set of plans!

DIY Custom Pantry Makeover by theDIYvillage.com

**This post contains Amazon affiliate links**

Sharing With:

DIY Show OffUndertheTableandDreamingMonday Funday Link PartyHome Stories A to ZToday's Creative BlogThe Humble Brag Supporting Habitat for Humanity

SNAP!Practically FunctionalPhotobucketPhotobucket
HookingupwithHoHThe 36th AVENUEShaken TogetherFunky Junk InteriorsFox Hollow Cottage

Comments

• Matt says

Woo Hoo! Thanks Stacy! It’s silly, but since we’ve been done, I’ve caught myself just staring at the pantry :) It was a pretty rewarding project to mark off the list!

• Lyn says

Matt, This pantry is amazing looking. Must be so satisfying to have created. I thinking of trying to replicate it. Can you give your dimensions? Especially the proportions of each of the 3 sections. Would love to see how you did the whole thing (since I want to do it too!)

• Matt says

Danielle, we’re really glad you like it! This project could have been deemed the “never ending renovation” because it literally seemed like we started this 2 years ago instead of 2-1/2 months!

• Matt says

Thanks Ethan, I’m starting to think that we both need to include disclaimers that we can’t be held responsible for any projects that get added to other husbands “to-do-list”

• Matt says

Thanks Janel, our pantry is your pantry! I’m still considering DIY retirement…So, Jacque may need someone with your talents around once I’m gone! We’ll see :)

OK Matt Knowlton you had me at “honey do list!” This is truly amazing. I think the design is top-notch and the end result adds such value to your home. Well done! Oh p.s. love the crown molding!
    Ann recently posted..How To Caulk A BathtubMy Profile

• Matt says

Thanks Beth! I’m considering DIY retirement if I get asked to do another project of this magnitude again…Well, at least not for a month or so :)

• Matt says

Karen, it’s funny that you mention the open shelves, because at first when Jacque told me that’s what she wanted, I gave her one of those “what chu talkin’ bout Willis?” looks…She assured me that they’d be perfect. And she was…Another lesson learned!

• Matt says

Thanks for sharing Erin! I’m not really accustomed to our projects taking that long, but I think this one was worth it!

Wow! You guys rocked this! I knew you would! I’ve totally got pantry envy now. Love the pull-out shelves and scale and “props”. Great job. ~ Angie

• Matt says

Heck yeah Melissa! And if you need any help with yours, the next time we’re in town, I’ll send Jacque over to help! (Sarcastic Grin)

• Matt says

Ha! Laurie, Sorry to have kept you in the dark for so long! On this end, it felt like there wasn’t enough time in the day to work on it! But, we’re stoked that you like the pantry so much! And for next time, we’ll try and not keep you in suspense for so long!

• Matt says

Courtenay, our trick was to spread out the contents of the pantry all over the kitchen…Sort of as a motivator to keep pushing for progress! Needless to say, I’m glad this one’s done!

• Matt says

Beckie, I was keeping tabs on your progress with your built-ins the whole time. They turned out incredibly by the way! Thanks for taking the time to let us know what you thought! It means a lot!

• Matt says

Natalie, that has seemed to be a common reaction from some of the husbands! Heck, I’m just thankful to have gotten through this project. It was definitely one of the larger scale projects that we’ve tackled, so it was just a tad stressful! Thanks for stopping by and I’m really glad you liked it!

• Matt says

Thanks Cristina! After I saw your tutorial on how to install window trim, we wish we could have brought you in for the finish work! You do FANTASTIC work!

• Matt says

Sandra, we gained almost a whole foot in the depth of the shelves, the width actually stayed the same, but everything is much more accessible now. And the biggest gain of all was the 24″ of height that we added with the upper cabinets. We definitely needed the extra storage!

• Matt says

I really appreciate your feedback John! Even though we were working together on the project, there were many times that I had to have Jacque reiterate what “look” she was going for. So it was kind of a lesson it cabinetry and communication!

• Matt says

Thanks Holly! We definitely want to share the “how to” side of the pantry install! It’s in the works and I hope to have the first article out sometime next week!

Jealous. Totally jealous.
    This is so incredible! I love how you guys did this…all of it.
    Too funny about not joking with your wife about upgrades. Yeah…don’t do that unless you’re gonna follow through. :)
    Love Love Love!
    Kelly

• Matt says

Kelly, you’d think I would have figured that out by now? Well, now that it’s all said and done, I’m glad we added them…But the steps it took to get them there… Well, I’ll get into that next week!

• Matt says

Thanks Kelly! All of you ladies have had an impact on what I look for! I literally walked by the dumpster and saw a ton of those organizers…My first thought, “How could someone scrap those!”

We’re really excited to have the pantry finished and looking forward to tackling some of the smaller projects on the list for awhile!

• Matt says

Anne, that’s quite the compliment! We were highly motivated, as the contents of the pantry were spread out all over the place!

4. Jenn H says

I was directed here from View Along the Way. this is amazing! I would love to know more about the actual construction and assembly of this piece

Amazing. I am totally impressed. This is the most well thought out pantry I have ever seen Love it. I would love for you to link this to my Inspire Me Tuesday party that is ongoing – –http://www.astrollthrulife.net/2013/04/160th-inspire-me-tuesday.html

I think this is such an unreal project and one that would definitely inspire anyone. Hugs, Marty

• Matt says

Fantastic Nicole, we’re glad to hear that you give a thumbs up on the pantry! Consider yourself followed!

I absolutely LOVE this! I love your cubbies, and the style of your cupboards. Nothing like being clean, neat, and organized in style! Thanks so much for sharing. Have a great weekend!

7. Judy says

WOW, doesn’t even look like the same space. Seems as if you widened the area. Can you share the actual dimension of this project.

• Matt says

Gail, I have to give most of the credit to Jacque! She had the vision, I’m just the brawn behind it! And thank you SO much for “Catching” it!

8. Ted Wood says

What kind of paint did you use? Oil-based or latex? And did you use primer? We are following your plan but now I need to do some research on paint and primer. Thanks for your help!

• Matt says

Hey Ted, we used a latex based paint and primer combo from Benjamin Moore. It went on amazingly smooth and has held up really well!

I absolutely love your new pantry! I have to show this to my husband…we are going to take the coat closet beside the kitchen and turn it into a pantry. I love your design, but I think we’ll have to keep ours closed since it is at the top of the entry steps and would not work with open shelving. I originally was thinking wire shelving like in your before picture…my husband has agreed with me that the pull out drawers are going to be much better! Thank you so much for the inspiration! I voted for you over at ‘Not Just a Housewife’.
    Debbie :)

This is just amazing – I’m in love – we’re thinking of installing a butler’s pantry but you’ve made me rethink that entirely –
    Just voted for you at Not Just a Housewife – I’m in awe!!!
    Hugs from Montreal